Solid Advice On How To Organize An Argumentative Essay
An argumentative essay is an article that allows you to defend your position on a particular topic using evidence. Creating a good article involves organization so you can present your argument in a logical way so everyone can understand. Here are some solid tips on how to organize an argumentative essay:
- The first thing you need to do is choose an argument that you wish to defend. Many times this is something you are passionate about since you would probably know a lot about this.
- You must collect solid evidence: Even though you are knowledgeable about the topic, you won’t be believed unless you can present solid evidence. Gather all of your evidence and keep them organized on note cards.
- Decide on your thesis statement – Carefully decide what you want your statement to be. Obviously, you will be stating your position on the topic so whatever it is will be your thesis statement.
- Create an outline – This is the best ways to organize your essay. Gather your notecards and keep them close. An outline forces you to create the flow for your essay and will make sure you include everything. State your strongest argument first, then your second strongest, then your last argument
- The first line on your outline will be your thesis statement
- The next line will be your first argument to support your thesis statement. Then there will be another line for each argument you have. The minimum number of arguments you should have to support your thesis statement is three.
- The last line should be for your conclusion.
- Create your rough draft following the roadmap shown in your outline. The first thing you need to write is your introduction where you will write your thesis statement and then also try to come up with a “hook” sentence which is something that will grab the attention of your reader so they will continue to read. Then write your three arguments and then your conclusion.
- Have someone you respect read the essay and ask for them to give their input as to whether it is easily understood and if they feel anything should be added.
- Do final edit, check for spelling and grammatical errors, and write your final draft.
These are the steps you can take to best organize your argumentative essay. If you follow these, you essay will be easily constructed and well done.